Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Monday, July 8, 2013
(ELWOOD) - The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says it’s cleaned up toxic mercury that was spilled in an Indiana home.
Authorities say the liquid metal was spilled by the new owners of a home in Elwood as they were cleaning out a garage.
The Herald Bulletin reports police found that the previous owner had collected the hazardous substance from old factories and forgot to dispose of it when he moved. The garage stood vacant for 20 years until the mercury was discovered.
Elwood police say mercury isn't legal to purchase in such large amounts and can be used as an accelerant in homemade bombs. However, they don't think the collector had any such intentions.
Police say the home is now safe and the new owners have moved in.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page