WBIW.com News - state

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Pets Should Avoid Blue-Green Algae

Last updated on Tuesday, June 18, 2013

(UNDATED) - The Indiana State Veterinarian says Hoosier pet owners need to be on close watch for blue-green algae.

Dr. Bret Marsh says the algae is a toxin that pets often ingest while in the water. Dr. Marsh says it's essentially poison and pet owners should rush their pets to their local vet immediately if they suspect they've ingested any of the substance found on lakes and ponds.

Dr. Marsh says the algae can affect the nervous system and liver. He says the algae often gets on the coats of pets and they lick it off.

He says if pets been swimming in the vicinity of the algae, owners should wash their pets immediately.

More information is available at www.algae.in.gov.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page