News Sections
Pets Should Avoid Blue-Green Algae
Updated June 18, 2013 6:48 AM
 Print    Archive    RSS

(UNDATED) - The Indiana State Veterinarian says Hoosier pet owners need to be on close watch for blue-green algae.

Dr. Bret Marsh says the algae is a toxin that pets often ingest while in the water. Dr. Marsh says it's essentially poison and pet owners should rush their pets to their local vet immediately if they suspect they've ingested any of the substance found on lakes and ponds.

Dr. Marsh says the algae can affect the nervous system and liver. He says the algae often gets on the coats of pets and they lick it off.

He says if pets been swimming in the vicinity of the algae, owners should wash their pets immediately.

More information is available at

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File