Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Wednesday, May 8, 2013
(FORT WAYNE) - A Fort Wayne fire fed by natural gas has forced at least 16 people from their homes.
The fire began early Tuesday in a building housing an antique shop and apartments. Once firefighters learned of the natural gas, they evacuated six houses.
No one was injured, but the building and virtually all of its contents were destroyed.
Rick Meyer, owner of Meyer Creek Antiques, tells The Journal Gazette that the fire kept growing because crews were stymied in turning off the gas. He said that the fire would be put out, but then the building would fill with gas and the fire would restart.
Firefighters say an accumulation of gas between the first and second floors caused a small explosion.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page