News Sections
Natural Gas-Fed Fort Wayne Fire Forces Evacuations
Updated May 8, 2013 4:40 AM
 Print    Archive    RSS

(FORT WAYNE) - A Fort Wayne fire fed by natural gas has forced at least 16 people from their homes.

The fire began early Tuesday in a building housing an antique shop and apartments. Once firefighters learned of the natural gas, they evacuated six houses.

No one was injured, but the building and virtually all of its contents were destroyed.

Rick Meyer, owner of Meyer Creek Antiques, tells The Journal Gazette that the fire kept growing because crews were stymied in turning off the gas. He said that the fire would be put out, but then the building would fill with gas and the fire would restart.

Firefighters say an accumulation of gas between the first and second floors caused a small explosion.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File