(ATTICA) - A house fire that killed a western Indiana man and his two young daughters was sparked by an electrical problem, investigators said.
Attica Fire Chief Ed O'Farrell said the fire began in the home's kitchen/dining area and was electrical in nature and accidental.
The Feb. 26 fire about 70 miles northwest of Indianapolis killed Lance Ward and his two daughters, 3-year-old Sage and 18-month-old Ryleigh. Ward's wife was not home at the time of the fire.
The Journal & Courier reports smoke and flames were so intense firefighters were initially unable to enter the home.
A Give Forward drive has raised more than $4,000 for the family, and a Ward family memorial fund has been established at Fowler State Bank, 510 Indiana 28 East in Williamsport.
A chili benefit and silent auction set from noon to 8 p.m. March 16 is in the works. The event will be held at West Mill Social, 115 W. Mill St. in Attica.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org