WBIW.com News - state

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Coroner: Smoke Inhalation Caused Fire Deaths

Last updated on Tuesday, February 12, 2013

(SULPHUR) - A southern Indiana coroner says smoke inhalation is to blame for the deaths of two children and three adults in a mobile home fire last week.

Crawford County coroner David Wayne Bullington said Monday that the state fire marshal's office found a wood stove being used to heat the home caused Thursday's blaze near Sulphur, about 30 miles west of Louisville, Ky. .

Bullington identified the victims as 34-year-old Dee Ann Lutz Rodgier, her 3-year-old son, Curtis Rodgier, her boyfriend, 32-year-old John Denton, and Denton's 8-year-old daughter, Kara. Denton's half brother, 35-year-old Billy Joe Turben, also died.

Sheriff Tim Wilkerson and relatives said the home had an electric furnace but that the occupants used the wood stove as their primary heat source because the furnace was expensive to run.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page