News Sections
Coroner: Smoke Inhalation Caused Fire Deaths
Updated May 5, 2013 12:13 AM
 Print    Archive    RSS

(SULPHUR) - A southern Indiana coroner says smoke inhalation is to blame for the deaths of two children and three adults in a mobile home fire last week.

Crawford County coroner David Wayne Bullington said Monday that the state fire marshal's office found a wood stove being used to heat the home caused Thursday's blaze near Sulphur, about 30 miles west of Louisville, Ky. .

Bullington identified the victims as 34-year-old Dee Ann Lutz Rodgier, her 3-year-old son, Curtis Rodgier, her boyfriend, 32-year-old John Denton, and Denton's 8-year-old daughter, Kara. Denton's half brother, 35-year-old Billy Joe Turben, also died.

Sheriff Tim Wilkerson and relatives said the home had an electric furnace but that the occupants used the wood stove as their primary heat source because the furnace was expensive to run.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File