WBIW.com News - state

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Fatal Fire Likely Caused By Portable Heater

Last updated on Saturday, January 26, 2013

(WARSAW) - Fire officials in northeastern Indiana say a house fire that killed one person appears to have been started by a portable heater used to thaw out frozen pipes.

The Kosciusko County Fire Investigation Team said Thursday that Wednesday's blaze at a lake home in Warsaw apparently started in the home's basement, where the portable heater had been set up.

Authorities have not released the name of the person whose body was found inside the gutted home.

Sgt. Chad Hill of the county sheriff's department tells The Journal Gazette the home was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived and intense flames prevented them from entering the residence.

Two renters living in part of the house escaped the fire and called 911 from a nearby home.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page