WBIW.com News - state

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Baby's Abuse Recorded - Investigation Continues

Last updated on Tuesday, December 18, 2012

(INDIANAPOLIS) - An Indianapolis mother handed police an audio recording of her 7-month-old son being abused, after she told officers she planted a recording device inside the baby’s car seat on a trip to see his father.

Stephen Dean of RTV6 reports that the 26-year-old mother told Indianapolis Metropolitan Police officers over the weekend that she planted the bug inside the baby's car safety seat because she suspected the infant was being abused during regular visits to his father.

When the infant was picked up from the father's home this past weekend, the mother noticed several bruises and abnormal behavior with her baby and called IMPD.

According to the police report filed in the case, an officer confirmed one bruise on the left side of the head and another bruise on the forehead above his left eye. Officers also noted the baby's face was red and "puffy" and the child had bloodshot eyes after the visit.

The mother, who lives near I-465 and I-74 in southeast Indianapolis, told police that her baby came home acting strangely. She said he usually returned from trips to visit his father no longer acting happy and energetic.

The woman told police she wanted to confirm her suspicions, so she planted a small recording device inside the baby's safety seat as he was being dropped off for his latest visit.

When officers were handed the recording, they said it contained loud and constant screaming from the baby during parts of the visit.

One officer wrote in the report that the screams did not sound like a typical baby's crying.

Patrol officers notified Department of Child Services caseworkers, while also calling in IMPD child abuse unit detectives to launch a criminal investigation into the father.

No charges were immediately filed, but the report spells out that the investigation was under way.

When detectives arrived, an ambulance was called due to the child's injuries. Medics took the baby to Riley Children's Hospital for treatment.

The father is listed as a 23-year-old man, but his name was not included in the police report since charges had not yet been filed.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page