WBIW.com News - state

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Teen Sentenced For 2011 Crime Spree

Last updated on Saturday, November 17, 2012

(TERRE HAUTE) - One of three teens accused in a deadly crime spree on Terre Haute’s south side was sentenced to prison Friday.

Joe Astrouski, of WTHI reports, in October 2011, three teens fled from Gibault Children's Services after beating another student there, authorities reported at the time.

The three teens first went to a nearby Wal-Mart, where they beat one man and tried to steal his car.

They then walked to a nearby White Castle restaurant where they severely beat another man and took his truck, according to police.

The teens later crashed the truck after a police chase, killing one of the teens, Therlow Pope.

The two surviving teens were later charged with murder, carjacking and other felony crimes. One of the two, Jordan Sneed of Merrillville, Ind., pleaded guilty to Attempted Carjacking and Robbery Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury.

As part of a plea agreement, Sneed's sentence was capped at 35 years in prison. On Friday, prosecutors and defense argued sentencing before a Vigo County Judge.

Sneed's defense argued, among other things, that Sneed had not been the ring-leader of the crime spree, but had followed along. They also argued that Gibault Children's Services had, at the time, failed to have adequate security measures to keep the teens from leaving or from being found once they had left.

Sneed's father, who testified during the hearing, also said Sneed had had a troubled youth and said he hoped his son would get treatment after sentencing.

"Have mercy, and get him in a place where he can get some help," Sneed's father asked the court.

Prosecutors, however, argued that Sneed had already been through several treatment programs as a juvenile but had still gotten into trouble, including charges of burglary and battery as a teen. They also argued that, whatever the security situation at Gibault, Sneed had chosen to leave and to continue with the other teens.

In the end, Judge Michael Lewis sentenced Sneed to ten years in prison on the Attempted Carjacking charge and 30 years in prison on the Robbery Resulting in Serious Injury charge. The two sentences will be served concurrently, and Lewis ordered that all 30 years be executed.

Afterward, Kevin Sherill, who was attacked at the White Castle, spoke to reporters.

"I'm hurt for life," said Sherill, who now uses a walker because of his injuries. "There is no way of getting over what I've got."

The other teen who survived the chase, Andre Moton, is due in court for sentencing in December.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page