Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Tuesday, October 2, 2012
(INDIANAPOLIS) - The arrest of a sex offender in a rape case has prompted the Marion County Sheriff’s Office to make changes, though they likely wouldn’t have changed the case that prompted the new procedures.
WISH TV8 reports, Shawn Corbally was arrested in late July on charges that he raped a Greenwood woman after breaking into her home. Corbally had been arrested for a Marion County rape case just days before, but was released when charges weren't pursued.
At the time of both incidents, Corbally was a registered sex offender in Clinton County after a conviction for a violent rape.
On Monday, the Marion County Sheriff's Office said it has begun a new policy. Every person arrested who is on the Sex Offenders Registry must now be interviewed by deputies who handle sex offender registration. In recent weeks, it has resulted in 86 interviews, and 18 people were charged with violating the terms of the Sex Offender Registry.
But sheriff's office officials said the new procedure likely would have had no impact on the Corbally case because of how the sex offender law is written. Officials told I-Team 8 in August that in order to prove someone violated the terms of the registry, officials must show that they left their registered county for 72 hours.
The Marion County Sheriff's Office has appealed to the Indiana General Assembly to make changes to the Sex Offender Registration law.
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page