Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Wednesday, October 3, 2012
(INDIANAPOLIS) - A house fire on the near northwest side is to blame for the deaths of 16 dogs.
FOX59 reports, Indianapolis firefighters were dispatched to a house fire in the 1200 block of West 35th Street minutes after 1 a.m. Wednesday.
According to Indianapolis Fire Department Public Information Officer Rita Burris, resident Sarah Fulford put some clothes in the dryer and went to bed.
About two hours later, Fulford heard her smoke detector and found the house full of smoke.
Burris reports Fulford grabbed the three children that were also in the home and quickly evacuated.
Firefighters brought the fire under control in about 15 minutes, but not before three dogs and 13 3-week-old puppies perished.
One dog, a Pit Bull named Romeo, escaped and was resuscitated by firefighters using a Project Breathe mask.
Following 20 minutes of oxygen treatment Romeo appeared to be recovering.
Fulford believes the fire began in the laundry room. She reported to firefighters she saw an orange glow coming from the room.
IFD/IMPD fire investigators say the fire started in the laundry room, but can't confirm if it started in the dryer.
The Indianapolis Fire Department states October if Fire Prevention Month and reminds residents to check their smoke detector and ensure it's in working order.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page