(ANDERSON) - The fatal overdose of a 16-year-old boy whose mother faces a neglect charge in his death was the second overdose death in her home in less than a year.
The Herald Bulletin reported that Charles Howard's July overdose in his mother Sabrina Howard's Anderson home came 11 months after her boyfriend, 48-year-old Duane E. Smoker, was found dead in her basement.
His death was ruled an accidental overdose. Police said the body had been in the home for five days before it was discovered.
Sabrina Howard was charged last week with neglect of a dependent in her son's prescription drug overdose death, which was ruled a suicide.
A probable cause affidavit states relatives told police Sabrina Howard was a morphine addict and her son "was in great duress" from repeated clashes over her addiction and that he feared his mother might die from an overdose.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org