Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Thursday, August 23, 2012
(ELWOOD) - A 2-year-old child was hospitalized after overdosing on narcotics Sunday, police said.
Police said they think the child overdosed on suboxone, a prescription semi-synthetic opioid, but they are still waiting for confirmation from tests.
The child was taken to St. Vincent Mercy Hospital by his or her grandmother, who is also the child's legal guardian, police said.
Police said that, as of Tuesday night, the child was still at the Elwood hospital in stable condition, and there was no indication that the child suffered any brain damage.
Police said the woman became concerned because the child had gone to sleep about four hours earlier than normal, and she had difficulty getting the child to wake up.
Police said suboxone pills were kept in an Altoids breath mint container at the child's home, and that some of the pills were missing, so it is possible the child mistook the pills as mint candy.
Officers were told Kirk Gaither, 24, of Alexandria, has sold narcotics to the child's residence on a regular basis, police said.
Police said officers arranged a controlled drug buy with Gaither on Monday, and Gaither was arrested on a preliminary charge of attempting to deal a controlled substance.
Police said the investigation is ongoing and more arrests could follow.
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page