WBIW.com News - state

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Warning of Toxic Algae Risk After Two Dogs Die

Last updated on Sunday, July 22, 2012

(ANDREWS) - Indiana health officials are warning residents that toxic algae found this summer in several lakes poses a health threat to humans and animals.

Their warning comes after two dogs died after playing in a northern Indiana reservoir tainted by the toxic algae.

The Board of Animal Health says that toxins released by blue-green algae are likely what caused two dogs belonging to Larry and Marge Young to die last week after the dogs played in Salamonie Reservoir.

The Wabash couple's two other dogs were sickened and are being treated for liver failure.

State officials have found high blue-green algae levels in seven Indiana lakes, including Salamonie, where record levels were discovered. The others are Raccoon Lake, Hardy Lake, Brookville Lake, Whitewater Lake, Sand Lake and Worster Lake.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page