News Sections
Warning of Toxic Algae Risk After Two Dogs Die
Updated May 5, 2013 12:11 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(ANDREWS) - Indiana health officials are warning residents that toxic algae found this summer in several lakes poses a health threat to humans and animals.

Their warning comes after two dogs died after playing in a northern Indiana reservoir tainted by the toxic algae.

The Board of Animal Health says that toxins released by blue-green algae are likely what caused two dogs belonging to Larry and Marge Young to die last week after the dogs played in Salamonie Reservoir.

The Wabash couple's two other dogs were sickened and are being treated for liver failure.

State officials have found high blue-green algae levels in seven Indiana lakes, including Salamonie, where record levels were discovered. The others are Raccoon Lake, Hardy Lake, Brookville Lake, Whitewater Lake, Sand Lake and Worster Lake.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File