WBIW.com News - state

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Kids Start Garage Fire With Magnifying Glass

Last updated on Friday, July 6, 2012

(MARION) - Kids playing with a magnifying glass caused a garage fire in Marion, officials said.

The Marion Fire Department was dispatched Thursday evening to the 400 block of East Lincoln Street, where they found a garage and a nearby pickup truck in flames.

Witnesses initially told fire investigators that juveniles had been seen lighting fireworks behind the garage just before the fire started, but Marion Mayor Wayne Seybold said kids with a magnifying glass were to blame for the blaze.

Crews later determined that the garage had been converted into an apartment. The occupants of the apartment lost all of their possessions in the fire.

The house sustained heavy damage from the heat, and a neighboring house and garage were also damaged.

No injuries were reported.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page