Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Tuesday, July 24, 2012
(MORGAN COUNTY) - A hay field fire shut down State Road 67 in Morgan County for nearly seven hours Monday.
The fire started around 5:00 p.m.
One added complication was that the nearest fire hydrant was six miles away.
The highway was shut down while fire crews trucked in water to battle the fire.
"Getting these bales broke apart because the fire gets down in them, you can soak them from the outside but the water doesn't get to the inside so we had that problem to deal with," Mike Ellis with the Paragon Volunteer Fire Department said. "We had to get some heavy equipment in here to bust those bales apart."
Crews said this fire started when an electrical wire broke and fell onto bales of hay.
Three firefighters were taken to hospital for dehydration, but all are OK.
Though this fire was not man made, fire officials remind folks that burn bans are in effect for a majority of the state.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at email@example.com
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page