WBIW.com News - state

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Docs Warn Parents Of Detergent Pod Poisoning

Last updated on Friday, May 25, 2012

(INDIANAPOLIS) - It’s supposed to clean your clothes. But the American Association of Poison Control says hundreds of toddlers have swallowed detergent pods.

Andrienne Broaddus, of WISH TV reports, kids become very sick, quickly. So far, 20 reported cases have been reported in Indiana since March.

"Some kids are sick enough they have to be put on ventilators," Dr. Brent Furbee said.

Furbee, who is the medical director of the Indiana Poison Control Center, said symptoms include nausea, vomiting and, in some cases, loss of consciousness.

"Honestly, we don't know exactly why it is happening," Furbee said. "We have looked at the ingredients and they don't - to date - explain why we would have children who are having loss of consciousness in some cases."

Most of the cases in Indiana didn't end up as serious as they could, but poison control centers are urging parents and caregivers to make sure these laundry detergent packets are out of reach of little ones. Some suggestions include child-proofing locks on the cabinet doors where you keep them or storing them up high.

If your child swallows one you should call poison control, 1-800-222-1222.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page