WBIW.com News - state

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Couple Injured Trying To Rescue Dog From Fire

Last updated on Monday, April 23, 2012

(INDIANAPOLIS) - An Indianapolis couple suffered smoke inhalation Sunday when they tried to rescue their dog from their burning home, fire officials said.

Billy Daugherty told firefighters that he lit candles in the couple's home at 2315 Station St. while his wife, Dawn Burgess Daugherty, was at the store, and then left the room.

When Burgess Daugherty returned home just before 3 p.m., she spotted heavy smoke coming from the back of the home.

The couple evacuated with two of their three dogs. Burgess Daugherty tried to re-enter the home to save the third dog, but was pushed back by heat and smoke.

Firefighters found the dog in a cage inside the home and brought him to safety.

The couple was taken to Wishard Memorial Hospital with smoke inhalation.

The blaze was brought under control within 20 minutes, but the house is believed to be a total loss.

Fire officials said there were no working smoke detectors in the home and that the couple did not have renters insurance.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page