News Sections
Couple Injured Trying To Rescue Dog From Fire
Updated May 5, 2013 12:11 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(INDIANAPOLIS) - An Indianapolis couple suffered smoke inhalation Sunday when they tried to rescue their dog from their burning home, fire officials said.

Billy Daugherty told firefighters that he lit candles in the couple's home at 2315 Station St. while his wife, Dawn Burgess Daugherty, was at the store, and then left the room.

When Burgess Daugherty returned home just before 3 p.m., she spotted heavy smoke coming from the back of the home.

The couple evacuated with two of their three dogs. Burgess Daugherty tried to re-enter the home to save the third dog, but was pushed back by heat and smoke.

Firefighters found the dog in a cage inside the home and brought him to safety.

The couple was taken to Wishard Memorial Hospital with smoke inhalation.

The blaze was brought under control within 20 minutes, but the house is believed to be a total loss.

Fire officials said there were no working smoke detectors in the home and that the couple did not have renters insurance.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File