WBIW.com News - state

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Former Boys & Girls Club Coach Arrested For Soliciting Girl

Last updated on Friday, March 9, 2012

(Indianapolis) - A former part-time employee and youth basketball coach at the Hancock County Boys & Girls Club was arrested and charged after allegedly sending improper text messages to a 10-year-old girl.

Clifford Moran, 27, who goes by "C.W.", faces attempted child solicitation and improper communication with a child charges after allegedly asking the girl if she ever "touches herself."

Investigators said communication began in August of 2011 after Moran stopped working at the Boys & Girls Club in Greenfield. Detectives said the correspondence started with texts about friends, family and the 4th grade. Then, it allegedly escalated to Moran wanting to see pictures of the young girl "maybe some naughty full body ones?"

According to the probable cause affidavit, Moran was trying to get these "naughty" pictures, while he was naked under his heated blanket.

"Yeah, he is not welcome," said Moran's former landlord.

The charges do not sit well with the landlord.

"I was shocked, very much so," said the landlord.

The landlord, who would not give us her name, realized she may have been inside the house as Moran was texting the girl.

"It was just because of the way they came and arrested him," said the landlord. "They surrounded the house and it was just too much."

The former landlord said Moran was a good tenant.

Reporter: "Did he pay rent? Did he seem like a decent guy?
Landlord: "Yep, no indication that anything was wrong."

Moran worked at the Hancock County Boys & Girls Club from August 2009 until October 2010. In a statement, the club's executive director says background checks are done annually on their employees.

Moran's was clean, but after his arrest the club, "Made contact with club parents, major donors and major partners to make them aware of the situation."

Moran told investigators "someone else must have sent the messages." He allegedly told them he "lost his phone," but he did not know when, or how long it had been missing.

Moran bonded out of jail Tuesday, March 6. He is set to be in court on April 26.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page