Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Monday, February 6, 2012
(WASHINGTON) - Washington native the Honorable Maria D. Granger is one of 15 under consideration to fill a vacancy on the Indiana Supreme Court.
Granger, 42, is currently serving as judge of Superior Court No. 3 in Floyd County. A Democrat, she was elected to the judgeship in 2008, taking office in January 2009.
Granger attended Lena Dunn Elementary School and is a 1987 graduate of Washington High School. She graduated from Indiana University in 1990 with a degree in Secondary English Education. In 1994, she earned her Doctorate of Jurisprudence degree from IU.
Her father is John Granger of Washington.
Maria practiced law in southern Indiana until her election to the bench. She also was an adjunct professor at Indiana University Southeast from 2001 to 2004 and was a Title IV-D Referee from 2005 to 2009.
A seven-member nominating commission will conduct public interviews with the candidates in Indianapolis from Wednesday through Feb. 10 - with a second set of interviews two weeks later.
Gov. Mitch Daniels will then select the justice from among three people recommended by the commission.
Granger is one of seven women and eight men being considered for the vacancy after Chief Justice Randall T. Shepard retires in March. Five are trial judges, one is a judge in the Indiana Court of Appeals and the others are attorneys.
Other candidates for the post are:
• Robert R Altice Jr., Marion Superior Court;
• Cynthia J. Ayers, Marion Superior Court,
• Cale J. Bradford, Indiana Court of Appeals,
• Mark S. Massa, Indianapolis,
• Patricia C. McMath, Indianapolis,
• Robyn L. Moberly, Marion Superior Court,
• Karl L. Mulvaney, Indianapolis,
• Rory O'Bryan, Indianapolis,
• Michael N. Pagano, Lake Superior Court,
• Mark K. Reeder, Indianapolis,
• Steve R. Schultz, Columbus,
• Jane A. Seigel, Indianapolis,
• Lee Shively, Evansville, and
• Rebecca A. Trent, W. Lafayette.
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page