Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Friday, December 23, 2011
(UNDATED) - Wal-Mart has pulled a batch of powdered infant formula from more than 3000 stores nationwide after a newborn Missouri boy died from what tests indicate was a rare bacterial infection.
The government has not ordered a recall of the 12.5-ounce cans of Enfamil Newborn powder with the lot number ZP1K7G.
Manufacturer Mead Johnson Nutrition said its records showed the lot tested negative for the bacterium before it was shipped.
Wal-Mart spokeswoman Dianna Gee says the company decided to pull the lot "out of an abundance of caution" while health officials investigate Sunday's death of 10-day-old Avery Cornett.
The product could go back on shelves depending on the outcome of the investigation, but customers who bought the cans have the option of returning them for a refund or exchange.
The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services says samples of the formula given to Avery were sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for testing.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page