Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Tuesday, December 27, 2011
(COLUMBIA)(AP) - Several more national retailers have joined Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in pulling a batch of powdered infant formula from their shelves after a Missouri newborn who consumed it apparently died of a rare bacterial infection.
Officials at Supervalu Inc., Walgreen Co., Kroger Co. and Safeway said Friday they have removed cans of Enfamil Newborn with the lot number ZP1K7G from various stores across the country.
They say it's a precaution until health officials complete tests on the formula.
10-day-old Avery Cornett died Sunday after getting sick several days earlier. Preliminary hospital tests indicated he died of a rare infection caused by bacteria known as Cronobacter sakazakii.
The source of the bacteria that caused the infection hasn't been determined, but it can be found in dried milk and powdered formula.
Illinois-based Mead Johnson said another batch of tests done on its Enfamil Premium Newborn infant formula found no trace of the bacteria. The Food and Drug Administration, the Centers for Disease Control and the Missouri Department of Health are investigating Avery's death.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page