WBIW.com News - state

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Man Dies After Spilling Gas On Self While Burning Leaves

Last updated on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

(STILLWELL) - Authorities say an 87-year-old Russell Wing, Stillwell died after accidentally spilling gasoline on himself and setting himself on fire while burning leaves.

He died Sunday from burn injuries at Loyola Medical Center in Maywood, Ill.

LaPorte County Sheriff's Maj. George Ritter says an off-duty deputy driving down a county road shortly after 9 a.m. Sunday spotted Wing on fire and was able to get him to the ground and put the fire out

Wing was brought by helicopter to the hospital where he later died.

Ritter says Wing was using a coffee can containing gasoline and a small hand torch to burn leaves when his clothing caught fire.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page