News Sections
Man Dies After Spilling Gas On Self While Burning Leaves
Updated May 5, 2013 12:10 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(STILLWELL) - Authorities say an 87-year-old Russell Wing, Stillwell died after accidentally spilling gasoline on himself and setting himself on fire while burning leaves.

He died Sunday from burn injuries at Loyola Medical Center in Maywood, Ill.

LaPorte County Sheriff's Maj. George Ritter says an off-duty deputy driving down a county road shortly after 9 a.m. Sunday spotted Wing on fire and was able to get him to the ground and put the fire out

Wing was brought by helicopter to the hospital where he later died.

Ritter says Wing was using a coffee can containing gasoline and a small hand torch to burn leaves when his clothing caught fire.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File