WBIW.com News - state

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Grain Bin Fires Caused By Dryer Fans

Last updated on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

(CLIFFORD) (AP) - Firefighters worked through Sunday night to shovel out thousands of bushels of corn from a Clifford grain bin after it caught fire.

Fire crews were called to the farm Sunday night.

Clifford Volunteer Fire Department Chief Steve LaRue says the bin's dryer fan caught fire underneath about 7,000 bushels of corn.

Members of all of the Bartholomew County's volunteer fire departments were called to help empty out the bin.

LaRue says about 6,000 bushels of corn had to be removed so that on Monday firefighters could reach the smoldering fire.

Firefighters tried to separate out the burnt corn and some of the good corn was taken to a grain elevator in nearby Taylorsville that opened up overnight.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page