News Sections
Grain Bin Fires Caused By Dryer Fans
Updated May 5, 2013 12:10 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(CLIFFORD) (AP) - Firefighters worked through Sunday night to shovel out thousands of bushels of corn from a Clifford grain bin after it caught fire.

Fire crews were called to the farm Sunday night.

Clifford Volunteer Fire Department Chief Steve LaRue says the bin's dryer fan caught fire underneath about 7,000 bushels of corn.

Members of all of the Bartholomew County's volunteer fire departments were called to help empty out the bin.

LaRue says about 6,000 bushels of corn had to be removed so that on Monday firefighters could reach the smoldering fire.

Firefighters tried to separate out the burnt corn and some of the good corn was taken to a grain elevator in nearby Taylorsville that opened up overnight.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File