WBIW.com News - state

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Grease Fire Guts Columbus Apartment

Last updated on Monday, September 26, 2011

(COLUMBUS) - According to The Republic, a grease fire at a downtown Columbus home left tens of thousands of dollars of damage and firefighters found no working smoke detectors.

Firefighters went to the home in the 1500 block of Lafayette Avenue around 10:15 a.m. They discovered a 13-year-old girl had started a grease fire while trying to cook chicken nuggets. The girl's mother was away from the home doing laundry, so the girl tried putting the flames out with water, making the fire grow.

The girl, who lived in an upstairs apartment of the home, was home with her 5-year-old sister. The 13-year-old told her downstairs neighbor, who ensured the girls were safely out of the house.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page