News Sections
Grease Fire Guts Columbus Apartment
Updated May 5, 2013 12:09 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(COLUMBUS) - According to The Republic, a grease fire at a downtown Columbus home left tens of thousands of dollars of damage and firefighters found no working smoke detectors.

Firefighters went to the home in the 1500 block of Lafayette Avenue around 10:15 a.m. They discovered a 13-year-old girl had started a grease fire while trying to cook chicken nuggets. The girl's mother was away from the home doing laundry, so the girl tried putting the flames out with water, making the fire grow.

The girl, who lived in an upstairs apartment of the home, was home with her 5-year-old sister. The 13-year-old told her downstairs neighbor, who ensured the girls were safely out of the house.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File