Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Friday, August 26, 2011
(INDIANAPOLIS) - Indianapolis Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Eugene White says the state takeover of four of the six IPS schools on academic probation is unfair and the school board will take action.
The IPS School Board met Thursday night and approved by a vote of 4-3 the right to file suit against the Indiana Department of Education if the department approves State Superintendent dr. Tony Bennett's proposal for the takeovers.
Dr. White says four of the six IPS schools on probation should not be there. Dr. White is alleging that the state combined middle and high school test scores for four of IPS' community high schools which resulted in those schools remaining on academic probation for a sixth year, which would warrant state intervention. Dr. White says the high school scores themselves would have taken those schools off probation.
Earlier on Thursday, Dr. Bennett announced the type of intervention to be used in all six IPS schools. Dr. White says he doesn't know what to expect with that intervention.
Dr. White says the school board will wait until the Department of Education votes on Dr. Bennett's proposal on Monday before filing suit.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page