(MADISON) - After a fire nearly destroyed the Jefferson County courthouse in May 2009, officials re-dedicated the historic structure this morning.
The structure was originally built in 1855 and was rebuilt as an exact replica.
County government officials and local citizens gathered to rededicate the community icon and publicly thank the volunteer fire departments that responded to the blaze.
Indiana Supreme Court Chief Justice Randall Shepard delivered the keynote address for the dedication.
The re-dedication weekend will continue Saturday with guided tours, music and displays of the history of the structure and the restoration effort.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org