(INDIANAPOLIS) - Indianapolis has its fingers crossed that a lockout won't cancel next year's Super Bowl -- but the city now knows how long it would have to wait for another chance.
As recently as last month, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said Indianapolis would get "serious consideration" for the 2015 Super Bowl if a lockout wipes out the one scheduled for February. But no one had been definitive until Wednesday.
The 2013 and 2014 Super Bowls have been awarded to New Orleans and New York/New Jersey. That would make Indy's game Super Bowl 48 instead of Super Bowl 46.
NFL owners meet in October to pick the site for the 2015 game. By that time, the league should know whether it can salvage the current season.
While the league negotiates with the officially defunct players' union, the NFL continues to visit Indianapolis monthly to review planning for traffic, security, marketing, and all other aspects of its championship game. The league will have representatives on hand for the first-ever Big Ten football championship December 3, to watch how Lucas Oil Stadium handles a major event.
Supovitz says a sold-out game with fans arriving from out of town will give the league a better sense of how things operate than a regular-season Colts game. The league will lock in the Super Bowl plan later that month.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org