Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Friday, October 9, 2009
(INDIANAPOLIS) - Marion County Prosecutor Carl Brizzi says he won’t comment on a state disciplinary investigation until he’s through with the murder trial that helped trigger it.
Brizzi issued a statement acknowledging he put himself, in his words, "in a bit of a pickle" when he described the evidence against Hamilton Avenue mass-murder defendant Desmond Turner in 2006 as "overwhelming," accused him of seeking "an easy score," and declared it would be a "travesty" not to seek the death penalty.
The Indiana Disciplinary Commission complaint says there's "reasonable cause" to believe those statements could prejudice potential jurors.
Marion Superior Judge Robert Altice had admonished Brizzi at the time to be more careful with his public statements, and threatened to impose a gag order.
Last month, Brizzi dropped the death-penalty request in exchange for Turner's agreement to let Altice decide the case without a jury.
The announcement sparked protests from some relatives of the victims.
Turner stands trial next week, and Brizzi says he'll withhold comment till the case is over.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at email@example.com
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page