Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Friday, November 28, 2008
(KOKOMO) - With Thanksgiving over, many families are starting to put up their holiday decorations.
Kokomo Fire Division Chief Rick Dockerty says using a little common sense can help protect you and your family at home. He says if you are going to use a live tree, pick one that has fresh moist needles that don't fall off easily then keep it watered and staying moist while in the home.
Dockerty says the most common mistake made that results in house fires is placing the tree too close to a heat source, such as a space heater or fireplace.
Decorations used to be more of an issue when the lights were big bulbs that got hot, but the modern lights are much smaller and cooler.
Dockerty says if you plan to decorate the exterior of your home, be sure to use a heavy duty outdoor extension cord and plug it into a GFI breaker.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page