News Sections
Audio
Holiday Decorating Safety Tips
Updated May 5, 2013 12:06 AM | Filed under: Network Indiana
 Print    Archive    RSS

(KOKOMO) - With Thanksgiving over, many families are starting to put up their holiday decorations.

Kokomo Fire Division Chief Rick Dockerty says using a little common sense can help protect you and your family at home. He says if you are going to use a live tree, pick one that has fresh moist needles that don't fall off easily then keep it watered and staying moist while in the home.

Dockerty says the most common mistake made that results in house fires is placing the tree too close to a heat source, such as a space heater or fireplace.

Decorations used to be more of an issue when the lights were big bulbs that got hot, but the modern lights are much smaller and cooler.

Dockerty says if you plan to decorate the exterior of your home, be sure to use a heavy duty outdoor extension cord and plug it into a GFI breaker.



« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to comments@wbiw.com

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW


1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2014 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   WBIW.com and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  About  |  Feedback