(MUNCIE) - A Muncie landmark has been demolished.
A 190-foot smokestack emblazoned with the name Chevrolet has been imploded, marking the end of a chapter in the city's automotive industry. A crowd of spectators gathered to watch the last remnant of the plant fall. Demolition of the complex has taken several months.
The Chevrolet plant opened in Muncie in 1935, employing 1,100 people. As many as 3,400 people worked at the plant at its peak in the late 1970s, although only 380 remained when it closed in March 2006.
Over the years that plant operated as Detroit Diesel Allison Muncie transmission plant and new venture gear, a General Motors/Daimler Chrysler joint venture.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to email@example.com