(MITCHELL) - Mitchell has a new baseball coach.
Jordan Key, a math teacher was named to the position Monday night during a school board meeting.
The decision came on a 3-2 vote. Jamie Kirk, Michele Super and Marnie LaFevor voted in favor; Christopher Shaw and Debra Beeler voted against.
Superintendent Steve Phillips says Key teaches primarily at the junior high school, but he also has a class at the high school. He was a volunteer assistant with the baseball team last spring.
Key will fill a position that had long been held by Gary Seitzinger.
Administrators last month recommended Todd Tanksley, a former MHS and Franklin College baseball player and MHS head football coach, for the job. But some board members raised concerns about combining the coaching job with Tanksley's duties as assistant principal at the junior high school.
On that night, Shaw and Beeler voted to hire Tanksley; Kirk, Super and LaFevor voted against.
For extracurricular posts in 2013-14, board members appointed:
* John Edge, varsity football coach.
* Luke Woolems, junior varsity assistant football coach.
* Ron Grimes, varsity girls golf coach.
* John Jones, co-ed cross country coach.
* Amy Redman, varsity volleyball coach.
* Cari Isom, assistant varsity volleyball coach.
* Steve Grissom, junior high school cross country coach.
* Kirsten Martin and Alison Kern, junior high school volleyball co-coaches in grades seven and eight.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org