Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Wednesday, May 14, 2008
(UNDATED) - Former Indiana University basketball coach Kelvin Sampson says that charges levied against him by the NCAA are “not substantially correct” and that the university did not monitor him and his staff as it should have.
Sampson issued a statement after IU released its response to NCAA allegations that Sampson and his staff committed five major violations, including lying to NCAA investigators.
Sampson resigned in February after receiving a $750,000 dollar buyout from IU.
In the response to the allegations, the university says it is "reasonable to conclude" that Sampson misled NCAA instigators. The university argues that the sanctions the school has already placed on itself are enough and that no further punishment is warranted.
IU officials are expected to appear before the committee on infractions on June 13th in Seattle. That committee is expected to rule on whether further sanctions are warranted in July or August.
The NCAA alleged that Sampson lied to investigators who were looking into allegations that he and his staff made impermissible phone calls to recruits. Sampson had already been sanctioned for similar violations while head coach at Oklahoma.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page