WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Bedford Man Dies From Injuries Suffered In Accident

Last updated on Monday, December 10, 2018

(BEDFORD) - A Bedford man died from injuries he suffered in an accident early Saturday morning at the intersection of John Williams Boulevard and State Road 37.

According to a Bedford Police report, when officers arrived on the scene they found a 1990 Ford Expedition resting at the far southwest part of the intersection after striking the solid metal pole that holds the stoplight for southbound lanes of State Road 37.

Bedford Police Sgt. Jesse Crane began checking the passenger seats and nearby area to see if anyone had been thrown from the vehicle, while Officer Chase Hamilton checked on the driver. No passengers were found.

Officer Hamilton found the driver 40-year-old Tanner Bough trapped in the vehicle and not breathing and he didn't have a pulse. An IU Health Hospital ambulance arrived on the scene. Coroner Rob Herr also responded. Bedford Fire Department removed Bough from the vehicle.

With the assistance of Indiana State Police Sgt. Rusty Garrison officer began shutting down State Road 37 from 16th Street to State Road 158 so officers could investigate the accident and because there was no working stop light at the intersection. The stoplight had fallen to the ground along with all the wires and supporting cables which made the highway impassable. INDOT was then contacted and said it would be two hours before crews could arrive on the scene. According to police, Bough was traveling at a high rate of speed and entered the intersection of State Road 37 and John Williams Boulevard from the west in the eastbound lane of John Williams Boulevard.

"I believe he was traveling the wrong way on John Williams Boulevard due to tire marks on the southbound lane of State Road 37 that came from the vehicle as it went west across the intersection," Crane noted in his report, "I believe the vehicle was traveling at a high rate of speed due to the amount of damage to the property and vehicle."

Police photographed the speedometer stuck at 90 miles per hour.

A witness, April Wicker, told police she was traveling south on State Road 37 approaching the intersection when she saw Bough's vehicle traveling down John Williams Boulevard at a high rate of speed. She told police the accident happened so fast she was really unsure what had happened.

She says the vehicle went across the intersection, disregarding the red stoplight, went airborne and then came to an abrupt stop. Wicker says she was unsure what the vehicle had struck until pulling up the scene and seeing saw the stoplight down.

The vehicle had severe damage to the front end, the undercarriage, and roof. The frame of the vehicle was bent downward in a slight V shape and the roof of the vehicle was caved in from where it had struck the pole head-on, lifting it off the ground slamming into the pole.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page