News Sections
New Firewood Policy At The Hoosier National Forest
Updated June 16, 2017 6:24 AM | Filed under: Natural Resources
 Print    Archive    RSS
USDA Certificate label.jpg
USDA Certificate label

(BEDFORD) - Effective immediately, only USDA certified wood or kiln dried lumber is allowed anywhere on the Hoosier National Forest (NF).

Previously USDA or Indiana Department of Natural Resources wood was permitted, but new pest and disease threats to forest trees have necessitated stricter firewood regulations.

Trees and forests face significant threats by invasive insects and disease. Among the most well known is the emerald ash borer, but there are other threats becoming more prevalent. Most outbreaks of emerald ask borer and other pests or diseases are linked to the introduction of firewood from an infected source. By only permitting USDA certified wood, the Hoosier NF hopes to slow or stop the spread of these threats on public lands.

From June to mid-October, USDA certified firewood can be purchased at Hardin Ridge, Tipsaw, and Indian-Celina Recreation Areas or through various other local vendors. Forest visitors are also allowed to gather small amounts of dead and down wood from the forest for a campfire, as long as that wood is used within the same immediate area it was gathered. Kiln dried or processed lumber is also permitted for campfires.

Firewood means any part or portion of a tree that has been cut and removed from its original location and is to be used as fuel for heating or cooking in open pit, grill, fireplace, or stove. Prohibited wood cannot be used or even brought onto Hoosier NF land. Violators may face fine or imprisonment.

Please help us stop the spread of pests and disease by ensuring no wood except USDA certified is brought onto forest land. Healthy forests require responsibility from every visitor. Together we can keep Indiana forests healthy for future generations.

Information on the dangers posed by moving wood is located at Please contact our local offices in Bedford (812-275-5987) or Tell City (812-547-7051) if you would like any additional information.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2019 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File