News Sections
Audio
Woman Dies Following Apartment Fire In Columbus
Updated May 10, 2017 6:38 AM
 Print    Archive    RSS

(COLUMBUS) - A woman died after an apartment fire in Columbus Monday afternoon.

A neighbor at Canterbury House Apartments reported smelling smoke and then saw it coming from the apartment around 2:45 p.m.

When Columbus firefighters arrived at in the 3500 block of Nicholas Lane they found 59-year-old Deborah Volland unconscious in the hallway of her apartment.

As crews were extinguishing the fire, firefighters removed Volland from the apartment and attempted to resuscitate her. Those efforts proved unsuccessful, and she was pronounced dead at the scene.

Volland likely died from smoke inhalation, according to the Bartholomew County Coroner Clayton Nolting, but the cause and manner of death won't be finalized until the investigation is complete.

Fire Inspector Matt Noblitt says the fire was located in the southwest side of the bedroom. The cause appeared to be "inappropriately discarded smoking materials." He believe Volland fell asleep while smoking in bed.



« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to comments@wbiw.com

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW


1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   WBIW.com and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback