News Sections
Audio
UPDATED: Carrie L. Payne Dies In House Fire
Updated April 19, 2017 9:39 AM | Filed under: Fire
 Print    Archive    RSS
House fire2.jpg
house fire 1.jpg

(BEDFORD) - Bedford Fire Chief Jon Wagner released the name of a Bedford woman who was killed in a house fire early Tuesday morning.

Firefighters with the Bedford Fire Department were called to a home at 2625 R Street at 2:19 a.m. to find heavy smoke and flames coming from the home. The home is owned by Randy and Mel Pemberton.

Firefighters from all three departments responded after a report of someone trapped inside. The individual that reported the fire was inside the home at the time of the call, but was able to get out unharmed.

Firefighters wasted no time in knocking down the blaze and entered the burning home within minutes in order to attempt to rescue the elderly woman that was still trapped inside.

"We had a quick knock down," says Battalion Chief Steve Haverly. "We ventilated the roof and cleared out the smoke and went in and found her."

According to Chief Wagner 66-year-old Carrie L. Payne, who used a wheelchair, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Two dogs were also found dead in the home.

Fire Chief Jon Wagner says smoking material in a turned over ashtray started the fire. The State Fire Marshal concurred with the department's findings.

"Normally they don't smoke in the house but this day they did," Chief Wagner says."They left the material in the ashtray, left the home and that is when the ashtray got knocked over by one of the families numerous pets."

A young girl saved the remaining family members in the house.

"She doesn't think she is a hero. She's pretty upset, but she did an amazing thing," Chief Wagnor says. "I don't know her name, but she was able to get other family members out of the house and was able to get the elderly woman, who was also crippled, up and into that wheelchair - I don't know how she did that. But she just wasn't able to get her out of the house before becoming overcome with smoke herself. She almost became a victim. The rest of the family escaped unharmed thanks to this brave girl."

Chief Wagner says he is proud of his firefighters.

"They did a good job and I am proud of them," he added. "They are taking this pretty hard. It is tough to deal with losing a life. it was too late, they just couldn't get in to save her."

The family is being assisted by the American Red Cross.

"They have put them up at a local motel," Chief Wagner says. "They also have all ready replaced the girl's prom dress and tickets that were destroyed in the fire."



« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to comments@wbiw.com

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW


1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   WBIW.com and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback