(NASHVILLE) - The Brown County Here to Help Event will be held on Saturday in Nashville.
The free event aims to raise awareness of child abuse or neglect and provide prevention resources.
The event will be from 11 a.m. till 1 p.m. on the Brown County Courthouse lawn.
The Brown County Department of Child Services is partnering with multiple local agencies that offer services to children and families. Each will have a booth set up to provide information. Any person who comes to the tent area will be given some educational information and a pinwheel to Plant in the Courthouse Lawn.
Local Circuit Court Judge Stewart will be the guest speaker at a short presentation.
The public is invited to the free event to plant a pinwheel on the courthouse lawn, get free food, and visit with local child abuse prevention agencies.
More information and resources are available on the DCS April Child Abuse Prevention Awareness web page: http://in.gov/dcs/3486.htm
How can you help prevent abuse and neglect:
- If you suspect abuse or neglect, please call the Indiana Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline at 1-800-800-5556.
- Reach out to parents that you know and offer a hand or emotional support.
- Volunteer time to programs that help parents.
- Let all of the children in your life know that that they can depend on you.
- Advocate for community services to help families.
- Report suspected child abuse or neglect.
- Consider becoming a foster parent.
DCS Prevention Programs
- Healthy Families Indiana is a voluntary home visitation program designed to promote healthy families and healthy children through a variety of services, including child development, access to health care and parent education. www.in.gov/dcs/healthyfamilies
- Community Partners for Child Safety is a statewide prevention program. It is designed to strengthen the family unit and build support services. It is voluntary, free, and provides home-based services to connect families with resources. www.in.gov/dcs/communitypartners
- Youth Service Bureaus (YSBs) & Safe Place provide a variety of programs aimed at preventing delinquent behavior in teenagers. http://www.in.gov/dcs/3326.htm
Indiana Department of Child Services
The Indiana Department of Child Services protects children from abuse and neglect and works to ensure the financial support of children. Indiana Child Abuse/Neglect Hotline: 800.800.5556. Child Support Customer Service Kidsline: 800.840.8757 or 317.233.5437. www.in.gov/dcs
Prevent Child Abuse Indiana is dedicated to preventing child abuse and neglect, and is committed to making Indiana a better, safer place for Indiana's most precious resources - our children. http://pcain.org/
Indiana Child Advocates (Court Appointed Special Advocates or CASA) These volunteers are carefully trained, appointed by the court and supported by program staff so they can advocate for the child's best interests and help them have a safe and permanent home as soon as possible. http://www.childadvocatesnetwork.org/
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to email@example.com