WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Marion And Mitchell VFDs Quickly Put Out House Fire

Last updated on Monday, December 12, 2016

(MITCHELL) - Two volunteer fire departments were able to quickly put out a house fire at 1082 Mill Creek Road on Sunday.

Firefighters were called to the scene at 8:58 p.m. after the resident reported a fire inside of his walls.

Marion Township VFD Engine 52 with five firefighters and Mitchell VFD Engine 4 arrived with three firefighters responding.

"The homeowner stated the breaker box burst into flames and the fire spread to the attic," says Marion VFD Captain Paul Gillespie. "The resident and his sons attempted to put the fire out with buckets of water until the smoke built up in the attic to the point they couldn't see or breathe. They exited the attic and called 911."

Fire crews entered the residence and the attic to locate the fire.

Firefighters determined the best attack was to pull the ceiling down in the dining room and living room area.

"Crews found the residence had two ceilings which made it difficult to reach the fire," Gillespie added. "There wasn't a lot of fire in the attic, a wire had shorted out in the second ceiling under the blown in cellulose insulation."

Firefighter removed a 6-foot by 6-foot area of the cellulose insulation and removed it from the residence.

"The resident was shown with the thermal imager that there was nothing left that was burning and instructed not to turn the power back on until they had a certified electrician look at the wiring," Gillespie added. "There was only moderate damage to the residence from the fire."

Firefighters were on the scene until 10:27 p.m.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page