WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Jasonville Fire Destroys Home, Kills Family Pet

Last updated on Wednesday, December 7, 2016

(JASONVILLE) - A Jasonville couple needs the public’s help after they lost their home and everything in it after a wood stove fire on Saturday.

Amber Powell and Clifford Burdette says the fire rekindled early Sunday morning destroying what little remained inside the home.

Jasonville Assistant Fire Chief Mike Duckworth says firefighters were called to the home at 10:47 p.m. Saturday and were on the scene for about two hours.

When firefighters arrived the back of the home was engulfed in flames. Lewis and Wright Township Fire Departments were called to the scene to assist.

Powell was in bed when the fire started, but Burdette was downstairs and noticed smoke coming from the flue. He attempted to put out the fire with water. He then called 911.

The fire damaged the back room and part of the upstairs.

After the fire was out the family was able to gather a few clothes and Burdette's insulin medication.

The Red Cross put the couple in a hotel for the night.

On Sunday morning the fire rekindled, not once but twice, causing extensive damage and consumed everything that remained inside. The couple's dog died when the fire first rekindled. They had left Alize, their pet of nine years, in a kennel inside a safe part of the home when they went to stay at the hotel.

Powell works at McDonald's full-time, but her fiance is disabled and on dialysis.

The couple has set up a GoFundMe page for donations. The couple is currently using a camper on the property for temporary housing.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page