News Sections
Audio
Houseboat Catches Fire On Lake Monroe
Updated November 21, 2016 6:42 AM
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BLOOMINGTON) - Perry Clear Creek firefighters battled a houseboat fire Saturday morning near the Cutright Boat Ramp at Lake Monroe.

According to Cpl. Angie Goldman of the Department of Natural Resources, an Indianapolis man told authorities he had been doing year-end maintenance work to the docked boat, and gasoline from a gas can accidentally spilled and caught fire.

The man reported he attempted to retrieve the fire extinguisher kept inside a cabinet on the Carver houseboat, but could not safely reach it. So he pushed it out into the lake in an effort to prevent the fire from spreading to other property.

Members of the Perry-Clear Creek firefighters used the department's fire boat to reach the boat that was engulfed in flames.

Crews then worked to retrieve the remains of the boat from the water which floated over to the shoreline and sunk.

Officials are not certain what ignited the spilled gasoline, and the case remains under investigation.



« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to comments@wbiw.com

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW


1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   WBIW.com and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback