News Sections
Audio
Fire Damages Historic Home In Washington
Updated May 24, 2016 7:58 AM | Filed under: Fire
 Print    Archive    RSS

(WASHINGTON) - A fire early Monday morning damaged a historic home just northwest of Washington.

The Washington Township Volunteer Fire Department were alerted to the blaze at 5:37 a.m. at 1351 North County Road 100 West. The fire and clean up closed Edwardsport Road for a couple of hours Monday morning.

According to Chief Tony Wichman when firefighters arrived there were flames shooting out of two rooms.

"The fire gutted one room and there was damage to attic and roof," he says. "It really took us longer to make certain the fire was completely out and to clean up than it did to knock down the fire."

Damage to the home is estimated at more than $50,000.

The fire began in a tenant's room in the 150-year-old house owned by Mark Traylor.

Wichman says a tenant had fallen asleep on the floor watching television and awoke to find the room on fire and her feet burned. The woman, who authorities declined to identify, then went downstairs and woke up the homeowner who then called 911. There were no smoke detectors in the home.

The 32-year-old woman, refused to go to the hospital for treatment

Chief Wichman says the fire was accidental as a result of human error.

WTVFD was assisted by firefighters from Washington Fire Department and Plainville Fire Department.



« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to comments@wbiw.com

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW


1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   WBIW.com and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File